A few weeks ago I was sitting next to my husband on the subway in New York City. We were on our way out of Midtown Manhattan to meet some friends of ours in Brooklyn so I could take some family portraits of them while I was in town. Suddenly my husband asked, “So when you go on photo shoots, do you psych yourself up by listening to the theme from “Rocky” or anything?” The question made me laugh, because I actually do listen to a certain type of music as I drive to my portrait sessions…not the “Rocky” theme, but music that boosts my energy and puts me in a good mood. Here are my top 5 energy boost songs (in no particular order):
1. “Love Runs Out” by OneRepublic. I love the driving beat from the drum and the piano. This song also gives me the overwhelming urge to play the tambourine. Do you think a person needs lessons to learn how to play the tambourine? Just curious.
2. “Elevation” by U2. Confession: I have several remixes of this, but my favorite is the Influx Remix. This song gives me the urge to run, take a kickboxing class, and then do yoga, all in about 4 minutes. Now if I really could accomplish all of that in 4 minutes, I would do that workout several times every day. Talk about an energy boosting song!
3. “Gospel” by MarchFourth Marching Band. My husband dug around to find this song after we heard it in “Monsters University”. Let’s face it…marching band music is meant to get your cheering section on, and this song gets me going every time! There’s also an awesome section in the middle with a gospel choir that makes my heart happy…happy heart=happy face=happy photographer=happy portraits.
4. “Love You Madly” by Cake. I remember the first time I heard this song. I heard it on another photographer’s website and immediately fell in love with it, so I ran off to purchase the mp3. I was so excited to have my husband listen to it, only to learn that not only had he already heard the song, but we already owned the mp3. At least it wasn’t an expensive purchase, right? Anyway, I love the bass line on this song…it’s so groovy!
5. “I Like to Move It” by Will.I.Am. I know this is a pretty drastic departure from my other top 5, but the truth is that this song does make me want to move it move it. Another awesome bass line, quick tempo, high energy song. Admit it, you are singing it in your head right now (and maybe even grooving out, too).
I admit it was hard to narrow this down to 5…there are other songs that fit well into my psych-up category, but these were the first to come to mind. What about you? Do you use music to give yourself an energy boost before an important meeting or activity? If so, what are your favorites? Feel free to put them in the comments…I’d love to try them out!
From one of my favorite family shoots this summer: